TThe biggest Street Machine Drag Challenge in the event’s history is set to run down October 24-29 in Victoria.
With our sold 2021 hit out due to COVID, we already have around 300 of Australia’s toughest street cars ready for the ultimate drag and drive test.
Update, October 1
Due to the very wet winter South Coast Raceway will not be able to host the Drag Challenge this year on Wednesday 26th October.
Unfortunately, the pits are full of water and it doesn’t look like they’re going to dry up anytime soon. We are grateful to South Coast Raceway for making us aware of the situation, which allowed us to make alternative arrangements.
The new plan looks like this: Drag Challenge 2022 will start as previously planned in Heathcote on Tuesday 25 October, then we will travel to Mildura on Wednesday 26 October for an overnight round, followed by a Day round, again at Mildura, on 27th October.
We will then return to Heathcote for the night round on Friday 28th October, with the event finishing in Heathcote on Saturday 29th.
That means there will be two night rounds this year, which should be pretty cool. For those who feel they will be shortchanged in terms of kilometres, never fear, we will be extending the routes to and from Mildura. A night run will give you plenty of time to complete the route and the mandatory stops.
Drag Challenge 2022 Dates
- Monday 24 October: Rego Day, Heathcote Park. Doors open at 8.00am, registration from 9.00am
- Tuesday 25 October: Day 1, Heathcote Park. Gates open at 7.00am, driver’s briefing at 8.30am, racing from 9.00am to 3.30pm
- Wednesday, October 26: Day 2, Sunset Strip. Night racing, times TBC
- Thursday, October 27: Day 3, Sunset Strip. Gates open at 7.00am, racing from 9.00am to 3.00pm.
- Friday, October 28: Day 4, Heathcote Park. Doors open 2.00pm, racing from 4.00pm to 10.00pm
- Saturday 29 October: Day Five, Heathcote Park. Gates open at 8am, racing from 10.00am to 4.00pm.
The spirit and rules of the event have remained the same since our first hit-out in 2014 – streetcars from track to track, under their own steam and without support vehicles.
Winners in most classes are determined by combining each racer’s best time from each day’s races. The racer with the lowest number at the end of the event wins!
The exception is Vibrant Performance Dial Your Own, which works differently from the usual format. In DC, each DYO racer collects a time slip of their choice on the first day and then plans to move closer to it over the next four days. The racer with the smallest spread between their times is the class winner.
Note: If you wish to change classes, you can do so when you check in on Rego Day.
And if this is your first drag challenge, check out the video above.
Racing at Heathcote Park Raceway is under IHRA sanction, while Sunset Strip operates under ANDRA. All the usual rules for your car at Drag Challenge apply, but if you’re not sure what license and technology you need, here’s a quick guide:
- 12.00 = 7.643 at the eighth mile
- 10.50 = 6.688 at the eighth mile
- 10.00 = 6.369 at the eighth mile
- Does your car have a modified floor pan? This includes any changes to the floor, rear wheel wells or boot floor and/or ADR safety items, but does not include rust repairs. If the answer is yes and the car runs faster than 12.0 in the quarter then it will need an ANDRA or IHRA license and tech. If the answer is no, go to question 2.
- Is your car equipped with OEM (factory equipped) four-wheel discs and an OEM driver’s airbag? If yes, go to question 4, if no, go to question 3.
- Is your car faster than 10.50 during the quarter mile? If the answer is no. If the answer is yes, then you will need an ANDRA or IHRA license and tech.
- If your car has OEM factory-equipped airbags and OEM four-wheel discs, you can run up to 10.0 on the quarter mile. If it is faster than 10.0 it will need an ANDRA or IHRA license and tech.
- If you have an IHRA license and tech you will need to download an ANDRA event license to race to your full potential in Mildura. This will cost $50 and will be the responsibility of the racer to organize the pre-e. ANDRA will accept the IHRA medical, but ANDRA will require an ANDRA technical inspection. Failure to manage an event license could see you restricted to slow times in Mildura. Failure to observe these limits may result in disqualification from the event. Download the ANDRA event license here..
- Victorian entrants have a free ANDRA Tech Day on October 1 at Power Plus Race Fuels at Dreamt at 118 Swan Drive, Victoria from 10am to 2pm. More information Here.
Spectators are welcome on all five days of racing. Tickets are available at the gate at each track, $25 for adults, free for children 13 and under.
A five-day pass will be available on the first day for $100, which includes a free shirt.
With 300 entrants, it is vital that we leave pit space for racers, so please park your car in the car park, not in the pits.
Drag Challenge 2022 Classes
Speed Pro six cylinder
Haltec Radial Blown
Turbosmart Outlaw blew up.
Tuff Mounts 235 Blown
Coal Wrap 235 Aspirant
Pacemaker radially aspirated
GJ drive lines were ruled out.
Dial dynamic performance to your liking.
Thank you to our entrants and incredible sponsors, we couldn’t do it without you!